Thursday, May 13, 2010

How to spend a Saturday

One of the reasons I purchased the Janome CP 1000 was to help me get a more professional hem on my purchased t-shirts when I shortened them as they are always too long.

As the Sydney weather has suddenly taken a quick trip south in temperature, I need tops desparately so the other Saturday instead of going to one of the two ASG Groups I go to I bit the bullet and got stuck into this job.

It took me most of the day because I probably do it a lot more labour intensive than it needs to be, however this system worked for me.

  • First of all I tried on all the tops and pinned the hem where I wanted it to be.
  • Measured the turned up amount, deducted 2cm from this and cut the remaining hem off.
  • Pressed up the 2cm hem.
  • Glued the hem in place.
  • Wound the 3 bobbins to use in the Bob N' Serge and threaded the machine.
  • Stitched the hems.
  • Finished.

  • I now have 7 t-shirts that are the correct length.



    The amount I shortened these t-shirts varied by brand ranging from 5cm to 8cm and that is not including the hem amount.

    I have also made a note in my notebook of how much to wind on the bobbins for each hem as I'm sure this will be a job I have to do again.

    4 comments:

    gwensews said...

    How great to have a lot of new t's! I have to make mine, and am in the process now. I would take those cut off hems and make sweat bands out of them!

    Anonymous said...

    7 T shirts!? Wow. Good job on mastering the coverpro. I'm green with envy.

    kbenco said...

    I can see your halo shining from here :).
    Mine is rather tarnished, looking at my alterations pile seems to have that effect.
    I have just tried gluing before coverstitching, and it was amazingly (to me) successful.

    velosews said...

    Nice work Sharon.