Sunday, November 30, 2014

SWAP 2015

On 1 November the 2015 SWAP rules where posted on Artisan Square

It has taken me a while to figure out if I was going to participate as the twist this year is not anything that I have ever contemplated or had a desire to do!

Here are the rules for SWAP 2015:

So.... Let's return to the tradition 11-garment format, with all the tops working with all the bottoms, and wildcard garments that work with every other item.  

This year, we need to make:

5 tops
3 bottoms
3 "wildcard" items

For our "sewing" focus -and this year's twist- let's make at least one garment that is reversible, transformable, or upcycled from another garment. For instance: a dress that can be worn as a shirt, a pair of pants that can roll up to be worn as shorts, or a jacket that can also be a dress. 

 "Upcycling" includes remaking an older garment into something new, taking a vintage pattern and modernizing it into a more current style, or recycling the fabrics or notions from another item to incorporate it into something new.  The original item to be reworked does not need to be a garment; you can remake a dozen scarves into a skirt or transform an old handbag into a collar and cuffs -use your imagination.

The "wild card" options can be just about anything you like, but they must be "garments" not accessories (hats, bags, blankets, etc.)

A "top" will be any shirt or blouse worn on the upper half; a "bottom" will be any garment worn on the lower half, and it shouldn't be obscene to wear either without another layer. 

A "dress" will be any garment that covers both upper and lower halves, and again, it shouldn't be obscene to wear it without an additional layer.

An "outer layer" will any jacket or sweater that is intended to be a second layer, over a top or a dress. If it can also be worn alone, that is fine.

A "bib" garment will considered a bottom, unless it can be worn alone without a top under or over it.

One garment may be previously sewn; another may be purchased.  

If you have an item you're working on now, you may include it, OR you may stitch up one item from scratch before the official sewing date of December 26.   

"Sewing" is a blanket term; you may sew, knit, crochet, weave...whatever works.  If you can make 11 garments with a 3D printer, that's fine.

Sewing will begin December 26th, and all garments must be finished by April 30th, 2015.  Muslins, pattern fitting and cutting may be started whenever you are ready. 

Thankfully amongst all the discussion here it soon became clear that I would be comfortable with the "upcycling" twist using buttons from previously owned/sewn garments or if I can find some silk ties there can be Hong Kong finishes on my seams. 

You have all seen the pieces I needed to sew/knit/purchase from my "Starting from Scratch" wardrobe and there are quite a few more than 11, 



I have chosen the following 11 items adding another pair of trousers as I was short 1 bottom.


I need to take time to review the rules as my navy skirt would qualify under the previously sewn, but I'm not so sure with the navy shirtmaker as I was doing the final handstitching when the rules were announced.

Work has been extremely busy this month and I can't see it getting any better in the near future so I am having plenty of time to think about sewing!


10 comments:

BeaJay said...

Great plan. So glad you are participating.

KathyS said...

I like your plan. Looking forward to following along.

Sew, Jean Margaret said...

Good luck with SWAP 2015. You are so organised with your planning.

EmSewCrazy said...

This sounds like so much fun! Good luck!

Elizabeth Made This said...

These are great plans. I've always admired your ability to put together wardrobe plans and carry them out. Looks like you'll end up with some lovely pieces!

Sue said...

Fabulous plan!

Sarah Liz said...

Sewing with a plan makes sound sense - sewing time is so precious, as is the sewing budget - useful mix and match clothes that you actually wear ensure time and money well spent :)

AllisonC said...

OK now I have your blog in my reader, and can see the adorable Roscoe! I love these SWAP plans, especially following other peoples as I never manage to make more than 2 garments.

Carolyn said...

That's a terrific swap; good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

This looks like a fabulous challenge, I shall watch with interest.